Sleep Wellness Program —The Importance of Sleep and Rest
SLEEP is your best medicine.
Sleep is the only time that your body's cells get a chance to repair, regenerate, detox and build healthy new cells. Sleep is the only time that growth hormone and immune cells are made. Having good sleep is important for both MENTAL and PHYSICAL HEALTH. Good sleep can be learned and established through training and practice.
Let's create the best Sleep Wellness Program specifically for your body and lifestyle. Here are a few general guidelines you might find helpful.
Five Steps to Sleep Wellness
- Get up at the SAME Time EVERY DAY. This teaches your body to make enough sleep proteins for the future bedtime and you will naturally feel sleepy at night.
- Eat PROTEIN-rich foods before noon. Your body needs the proteins to start building sleep proteins for the evening's sleep time coming up.
- Create a CLEAN sleeping space. When lab rats with good sleeping patterns were placed in a messy cage, they developed "insomnia."
- Lie in the DARK. Melatonin is very sensitive to light exposure. You can lose up to 50% of your melatonin hormone within 30 minutes if you are exposed to any light at night-time.
- TREAT the GUT. Sleep proteins are made from what you've eaten during the day. Caffeine breaks down sleep proteins that are made during the day. Melatonin is made from Serotonin (your happy hormone) which are both created in the gut. If you have gut issues like gas, bloat, heartburn, diarrhea, constipation, stomach pains—then you are more at risk for poor sleep.
Call Dr. Maria Cartwright at 916-666-0959 to make an appointment. See our fees.